Saturday, November 19, 2011

Memorable experience at Arlington

Today I had an experience that I will never forget.  Thanks to the initative of Kyle Nappi, I had the honor of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  This tomb represents missing and unknown fallen service members.  The anonymity is the aspect that I find most tragic.. The inscription on the tomb reads, "HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD."

Losing a soldier, airmen, sailor, or Marine in combat is always a difficult reality to confront.  I have had the unfortunate experience of losing two brothers, Max Donahue and Dustin Lee. These two Marines were talented, bright, and couragous K-9 handlers.  When I was standing by watching the sentinel perform his duties, I thought of Max and Dustin, and how thankful I was that they were not missing in action.  Neither of their final resting places read "Known but to God." 

At the end of the ceremony a bugler plays taps.  Listening to him with my hand over my heart I had two thoughts.  First, that I hope it is the last time I ever hear it, and second, that I am thankful that I am not the one that it is being played for.

AA

No comments:

Post a Comment