Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Capitol Hill Club

The other night I was privileged enough to have dinner with my Uncle at The National Republican Club of Capitol Hill, more commonly known as Capitol Hill Club. This is the place to be if you are a lobbyist. Republican congressmen spend some time here a few nights a week grabbing drinks with friends or having dinner with their wives or being lobbied by D.C.'s finest. I got to meet a lot of lobbyist and congressional staffers that my uncle was friends with. He just happens to be quite good friends with the Speaker of the House John Boehner. Luckily for me, he just so happened to be there down at the bar that night and I got to spend some time with him. My uncle ran into Boehner's Political Aide and they talked for a while before he invited us over to his table. We sat and chatted with the speaker over a glass of wine, he has an affinity for Cabarnet Sauvingnon, and this was quite an experience.

As my uncle and I left the bar and went to the Presidential Dining area to eat we saw a few members of congress eating with their wives, and getting lobbied over half off steak night. As the night wound down we discussed future plans for me and set-up a few lunches with fellow lobbyist and congressional staffers to help get my foot in the door. It was quite an experience, one that I won't forget.

-B.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment