Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ms. Kaufman Goes To Washington




Many of us now recognize this building as we find ourselves walking past it to the Metro, working in it for Senator Brown, or admiring it from the Congressional's windows. Today, I was graciously asked to attend a Senate Hearing held by the Homeland Security Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight here at the Dirksen Senate Office Building (you can see my dark curly hair and tan trench coat in first few minutes, third row third chair from the left)!

Discussing Project On Government Oversight's General Officer Scott Amey's Bad Business report, I saw in action the effect of POGO's constant push to improve government. Listening to Senator McCaskill, Senator Rob Portman, and Senator Jon Tester's presentation and hearing first hand three testimonies, I stumbled on a subject for my policy paper and new interest in Contract Oversight. Amey's yearn to make government more efficient and effective illuminates the magnitude of opportunities available to me to create and suggest better government practices.

Although it was only my third day at the Project On Government Oversight, I feel integrated into their operation. I have been assigned my responsibilities, made apart of their team, and have been asked to perform to the best of my ability. While I may sound pessimistic, I hardly expected to be doing much more than administrative work this early in my internship. Yet, I have already been published on their blog and have learned so much (i.e., how to hyperlink).

Their enthusiasm and passion for their mission is remarkable and inspiring. It makes direct parallels to what we were prepared for in class Monday and has, in less than 72 hours, surpassed my every expectation. I am so proud to be a John Glenn Fellow and cannot wait to hear about everyone else's experiences.

Melanie Joy Kaufman

No comments:

Post a Comment