Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Muddling Through



            The idea of “muddling through” has been a recurring theme throughout my first week in D.C. Not only is it the title of our first lecture and our first reading assignment, but it has also been my general feeling as I have navigated my first week in the Capitol city.
*Rayburn House Office Building
            As a city D.C. moves at a pace incomparable to any city I have ever lived in and Capitol Hill moves twice as fast as everyone else. It only took about two hours on my first day to realize I would likely be in need of more dress shoes well before the trip was over.
            Prior to Tuesday I had only been in the Capitol building once and never set foot in any of the House offices. The only appropriate word to describe the three house buildings is: colossal. Many times I have felt stuck in a maze certain that I would never find my way out, but nonetheless I have “muddled through”.
            It is appropriate to note that none of this has had any effect on my experience so far or going forward. In fact it has likely made it much more interesting than it was setup to be. I couldn’t be more excited for the next 9 weeks and I hope they don’t fly by as I am sure they will.

-David Cameruca

No comments:

Post a Comment