Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Little Thing Called Hope



Nothing relieves stress quite like the high you get from running. I’ve found this to be ever more true when my runs take me the scenic route past the Capitol Building. I can’t even begin to put into words how amazing the simple notion of taking a jog down the street can be transformed into an adventurous trip when taking into account my new residence in the heart of our nations capital. The orientation for the WAIP program and the first few days of at my internship have left me overwhelmed with facts, due dates, and expectations. Yet that hour of my day spent soaking in the D.C. air while I search for a clear path of “walk” signals along the sea of crowded and bustling cross walks gives me the ability to catch up with the time that seems to be flying by on this trip.



It’s hard to believe it’s already been four days since I unloaded the tightly packed car with my seemingly endless bags to serve as my suvivor kit until June. Each day I have become more and more comfortable with the prospect of one day considering D.C. a more permanent version of home. Although I have already adopted the double apartment room as my home away for home for the time being, and have begun to pick up on the tiny quirks that make this residence unlike any other I will experience in my lifetime, I can’t help but imagine the idea of living and working in D.C. without an end date circled on the calendar.



To the regular passengers of the metro, their journeys into work may seem like another ordinary day in their lives. But for me, that overly priced metro card signaling my entrance into the D.C. lifestyle helps serve as a reminder of why I originally applied for the WAIP program. Maybe it’s my idealistic view of certain aspects of politics (and life in general) but when it comes down to it I’m determined to prove that I can make an impact, even in a way that may seem insignificant or unimpressive to a percentage of others.



Even if my influence does not match up to impossible standards that today’s society places on us. I’m beginning to learn that the progress I want to make should be more about meeting my own standards and setting my own goals. Although the prospect of rubbing elbows with politicos and building networking skills may be at the forefront of the program’s recruitment process, my main motivations are slightly less bureaucratic. Similar to that rush and jolt of energy I feel when my mind is free to wander during a run, there is a certain feeling of excitment that entices me with political work. I guess it would be fair to say that I’m the definition of a political nerd. Call me naive if you wish. I’ll take my chances at success over accepting failure any day.

Erin Ryan



No comments:

Post a Comment