Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Supreme Court visit


After class Friday, I finally had the opportunity to visit the Supreme Court.  A visit to the highest court in the country had been on my to-do list from day 1.  I was lucky enough to be joined in my adventure by Dr. Kolson and a few of the other fellows and we had a wonderful time; admittedly maybe too much fun was had in the gift shop when we were mildly reprimanded for using the long pencils as light sabers (also Star Wars seem to be coming quite the theme in my posts…weird). 





Upon entry we were greeted by a security guard whose father, we learned, had attended Ohio State, and was himself, a Buckeyes fan.   We then proceeded upstairs to hear a lecture on the Court’s history and architecture.  


I was most surprised after arriving in DC to learn that the building we currently identify with the Supreme Court was not actually completed until 1935, and proceedings had previously been held in the Capitol building.  It was fellow Ohioan and former President and Chief Justice, William Howard Taft, who successfully advocated for a separate headquarters for the Judiciary.



Walking into the actual courtroom was one of the best moments I have had in DC.  I was especially giddy over the old-timey, extremely uncomfortable looking, wooden chairs.  For some reason these just made my day, and brought idealistic images of Atticus Finch type characters fighting for justice passionately and courageously.   Sitting there during the lecture, I could not help but think about all the historical decisions that have taken place in that courtroom and how those decisions, made privately by just nine individuals, influence our lives every minute of every day.




I also have to add this picture I took with Sandra Day O’Connor’s head bust.  I wrote a research paper on Justice O’Connor for my honors English class in 9th grade.  It was the first research paper I recall enjoying so much that I actually needed to cut down my content to fit the requirements.  Justice O’Connor has been an inspiration to me ever since.




KM

No comments:

Post a Comment