Monday, June 25, 2012

Green DC


It is easy to see DC as a sprawling cosmopolitan city with a vast array of buildings; however, if you look hard enough you will find parks and substantial green areas. Yesterday I spent the afternoon at the National Mall. Now, this is not your ordinary mall. It is a vast green space expanding from the Smithsonian to the Lincoln Memorial.  I have had the privilege to know an individual who had mistaken the National Mall for an actual mall. Future Glenn Fellows, please do not make this mistake. It is a great area to run if you have the patience to dodge tourists. Also, you can play sports or if you are really gutsy, sun bath. I had played 2v2 soccer. The only other thing to mention about the National Mall is that it is obviously a public location, so refrain from cursing when you lose.
This past weekend I also visited the DC zoo.  Overall I do not enjoy zoos and thus I did not enjoy myself as much as others did, but I did enjoy the vast amounts of vegetation and scenery. One exhibit in particular, the bird house, allowed you to step into a room that looked as if it was from the Amazon. It was cool, green, and damp. The best part though was that birds actually flew around you. It was a cool experience.
The last place I will mention is Rock Creek Parkway, a site I have not visited yet.  It is close to Georgetown University. This park essentially runs for miles along the Potomac River.  It offers beautiful trails for hiking and rocks for climbing, be careful though for there is no belaying (from what I understand).  Also, my friend sprained his ankle there. Watch your step.
These are a few areas I have discovered. I am sure there are many more waiting to be discovered….



Mark Zronek

No comments:

Post a Comment