Thursday, June 28, 2012

Firehook

       Well, it’s happened. After a few weeks of packing my lunch I woke up too late and had to go to a cafe in DuPont to find food. And I’m hooked! The place is called “Firehook,” and offers a million types of muffins, cupcakes, breads, and coffee; all I need for a nice little lunch by the window on another million degree D.C. day. It’s a typical corner bakery across from the Metro stop, but the inside is full of women behind the counter jabbering in Spanish about the size of pregnant friends’ bellies. Are they sisters? Are they in-laws? Who knows. Half are latina in appearance, a few are white, and one is Indian. Why they all speak Spanish is beyond me, but I happily replied “gracias” when they gave me a free torta for lunch when I couldn’t decided between two delicious options.
      I’m excited to get out and see more of DuPont and the little places like Firehook. Some parts of D.C. don’t seem like a “real” city, but rather a large park. But DuPont is full of mixed uses and diverse people using the circle during lunch that it feels like a much denser area. I recommend spending time in the area and getting away from what my co-workers called “Hill People.”  
   
Devin Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment