Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saturday Morning at the Eastern Market


Amidst the mounds of fruits and veggies piled high underneath a multitude of tents, I couldn’t stop smiling. I must admit that I probably enjoy shopping for produce more than the average person. There’s just something about the bright colors along with the anticipation of the burst of flavor that I know is soon to come, that makes me slightly giddy. Therefore, I felt at home swerving through the stalls of the Eastern Market Saturday morning trying to decide what to purchase.
      The whole atmosphere of the Eastern Market added to my euphoric mood. It’s encouraging to see so many people willing to take the time out of their morning to look through the stalls, support their local farmers, and enjoy the bounty of produce summer brings. As I continued through the stalls I finally decided to purchase some peaches, summer squash, and potatoes with the intent to return soon and experiment with produce that I am not as familiar with. The Eastern Market produces the feeling that food is more than just something we eat; it is a part of our culture that deserves attention. As I walked home I couldn’t help but think of a Michael Pollan quote I had recently read, “In a short food chain, eaters make their needs and desires known to the farmer, and farmers can impress on the eater the distinctions between ordinary and exceptional food … Food reclaims its story, and some of its nobility, when the person who grew it hands it to you.”  


~Christy Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment