Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Little Slice of Home



Full disclosure, I consider myself to be outdoorsy.  Hiking, cross-country skiing, kayaking. Oh, and I also run from time to time as well.  I like being outside getting my daily dose of Vitamin D.  So, when my daily schedule consisted of walking into work a little after sunrise and then leaving after sunset, it would be an understatement to say that my seasonal affective disorder was hitting me pretty hard.  Our trip to Mount Vernon was the bee's knees.  We took a boat (I like boats) up the river for an hour and a half.  We have a boat back home, it's only a 17-footer, but being out on the water was a big part of my childhood, so being on a boat was kind of like being home.  The estate was really amazing as well.  George Washington is such an important historical figure in the United States.  He's the original Captain America, doing what is right even in the face of adversity (at least that is what his mythos is).  However, while I enjoyed touring his house and property, my favorite part of the visit was sitting on the wall on the hill overlooking the river hanging out as a group. 

DC has a lack of green space.  Front yards are tiny if they exist at all and I question whether anyone living on Capitol Hill owns a lawnmower.  That's probably the only thing I despise about DC.  I have to actively seek out nature since the Rock Creek and the Potomac Parks are each over 3 miles away from our house. But there was so much grass and forest on the estate!! I was so happy and the weather was so nice and I know I'm rambling but I realized that I had taken these things for granted back home. I could have stayed out in Mount Vernon all day just walking through the woods.  There is a park system adjacent to my backyard so the trip was another taste of home.  It was a great day and it allowed me to take a breath and regroup for the last little stretch of WAIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment