Friday, April 13, 2018

Past the Politics

DC is so unique because it is not a state, but in some ways operates like one, and is nothing near a small town, but often feels like one. People often say DC is a bubble, either too elite, too political, and too privileged, which is extremely important to be mindful of but not always entirely accurate. It is easy to be consumed by your job, especially if it is political as mine was, but DC is still, at its core, a city. Some people live there whole lives here, sometimes completely detached from politics. The perspective of knowing that not everything revolves around Trump or Capitol Hill was almost relieving to me, but it’s overwhelming to think of how easy it is for me to forget.

This was one of the best things I learned in WAIP as I tried to navigate stressful situations, an internship on the Hill, and class. Although I was not able to afford to pick up my old, non-political hobbies such as tennis and ceramics, I made a conscious effort to have normal experiences to preserve my own sanity and practice self care. I took myself to the movies, concerts, the grocery store and Alexandria, parks, and other “normal” places on a consistent basis. As much as I love my job and living in DC, I realized early on that it can be overwhelming and desensitizing to be around politics and political people all of the time. Sometimes I needed a few hours of a break, and catching a Demi Lovato or Lorde concert, or driving around a suburban neighborhood and shopping at a one level grocery store did the trick. Of course, it was extremely convenient that everything I wanted to do was within the greater DC area, and I did not ever have to go far. I ultimately would not trade being steps away from the March for Our Lives, visiting NPR headquarters, or working in Congress for anything in the world, but it was important for me to know my limits, take a step away from the United States Capital, and just enjoy living in a big city.
Mikayla Lee

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the knowledgeable stuff to enlighten usno words for this amazing blog.. learnt so many things I recommend everyone to learn something from this blogger and blog.. I am sharing it with others also..
    Summer training in Lucknow
    SAP training in Lucknow
    SAP FICO training in Lucknow
    Python Training in Lucknow
    Digital marketing training in Lucknow
    PHP Training in Lucknow
    Android Training in Lucknow
    am going to share it with others also, it is a nice article

    ReplyDelete