Friday, April 13, 2018

Grandma in Washington DC!

**If you only read the first sentence of this blog post, please do yourself a favor and scroll down to the photo of my grandmother looking at flowers in the U.S. Botanic Gardens**


Hello All! This semester my family traveled to Washington, D.C. to spend Easter weekend with me. I was overjoyed to see my parents and sisters, but I was especially excited to have my grandmother in DC with me! She is 76 years old and hadn’t been to Washington, DC since her senior year of high school! In the weeks leading up to her visit I routinely called her to plan the itinerary and she was always so excited. After 8 long hours in the car, my family arrived Friday afternoon and we headed to Georgetown for dinner. We enjoyed enormous portions of Italian food in a restaurant with the most Easter decorations I have ever seen in my life. Saturday we spent all day on a Double Decker Big Bus Tour and had an absolute blast. Despite her limited mobility, my grandma was able to see the Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and the National Museum of American History. I was so happy to see how much my grandma enjoyed the museum and hear her reminisce about popular culture artifacts from her childhood. On Easter Sunday we attended mass and then headed to brunch at CafĂ© Belga where we enjoyed sweet and savory Belgian waffles. The grand finale of the amazing weekend was a visit to the U.S. Botanic Gardens where the photo attached below was taken. My grandma may have slightly embarrassed us with her shutter on full volume as she took photos of every species of orchid in the gardens, but it was clear how much she enjoyed it so we just went with it! It was a weekend I will truly never forget and I look forward to reliving the memories for years to come!








No comments:

Post a Comment