Monday, April 9, 2018

Coming Full Circle: Growing Up with NPR

Coming Full Circle: Growing Up with NPR by Matt Bango

When I think about NPR, the first memory that comes to mind is driving with my Dad and fighting over which radio station we listened to: NPR or Radio Disney.  While I won most of the time, my Dad made me compromise by listening to NPR at the top of the hour or during commercial breaks.  I used to hate listening to the announcers bland voices and about stories that I didn't understand.  My relationship with NPR began to change after President Obama entered the Oval Office.  My family, being huge Obama supporters, started to listen to NPR every time we were together in the car for a long period of time.  Listening to NPR was my first introduction to public policy solutions and politics.  I saw how happy my parents were every time the radio turned on. 

After changing my major to Public Policy Analysis my sophomore year of college, I began to voluntarily listen to NPR to get my news while walking to class.  It was a fantastic opportunity to tour the NPR Headquarters during one of our study tours.  From seeing the map in the entrance that depicted where their regional stations are located to watching the employees interact in the large newsroom, it was surreal to be in the headquarters of an institution that meant so much to my childhood and now my collegiate career.  The tour was exceptional because we got to sit inside a recording studio and learned about how they structure their programming.  Also, it was amazing to see the desk where their "Tiny Desk" Concerts take place.  I have watched Chance the Rapper's performance at that desk over twenty times.

NPR is a fantastic resource that we are so lucky to have.  With the Trump Administration threatening to remove or reduce the scope of government financed public programming, it was a great experience to hear firsthand how non-partisan and honest NPR tries to be when reporting the news.  NPR is a fantastic institution and I am so fortunate to have been able to walk their hallways.    

No comments:

Post a Comment