Friday, April 13, 2018

Screensavers and News Articles




It was late March and I had been invited to an opera at the Russian Embassy.
I had no interest in opera and Had gone for the free food and refreshments
provided at the event. During my time in Dc, US and Russian relations were
at an low in comparison to where they had been the rest of my life but I did
not understand the significance of my visit to the embassy. A week later the
President had announced the expulsion of 48 Russian agents at that same
embassy I went to see an oprah at. I came to the realization my time In the
program I have experienced one large breaking news article. From the
government shutdown, to the expulsion of Russian Embassy agents,
impending war with Syria, and (as I currently type this blog) Mark Zuckerberg
testifying to the House of Representatives in the building next to where I work.

I started tradition on days that I have no postwork events in which I go to the
top of Capitol at the official sunset time for DC, listen to music, take a picture
of the sunset, and reflect on my time here. In my first ‘reflection’ I came to
realize along with the absolute chaos occurring around us interns in what is
2018, we also live in a next to what many people would leave as their
screensaver. Everyday I am blessed with the opportunity to walk past
the Capitol Building and the accompanying monuments. I will never forget or
downplay this opportunity I have been blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment