Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Cultural Arts Group and the Corcoran Gallery

I had to miss the dome tour, to go to a meeting. Luckily the meeting was pretty interesting. The particular meeting was with the cultural arts group. The attendees were government affairs people from various arts and cultural organizations. This included representatives from the museum, performing, visual, presenting, architectural arts community. A wide variety of issues and initiatives were discussed. And while it seems like sometimes government action can be very incremental its nice to know that, people work with the government everyday to improve society and its constructs.
After the cultural arts group meeting, I went to the Corcoran Art Gallery. The Corcoran Gallery of Art is really close to the White House. I didn’t realize that when I started walking there, so I ended up walking by the White House (which made me smile, because Obama lives there, some days) and the Dwight D. Eisenhower Office Building. The White House always seems to look smaller in person…maybe that’s just me?
Anyway, the Corcoran is a really lovely space, and has a nice set of statues and fairly nice permanent collection. I was going in hopes of seeing the Turner to Cezanne exhibit, which was closed due to an Air Conditioning glitch. That was a bummer, and the rest of the exhibits I had to share with children on a school tour, all under the age of 6. I like children, just not when they’re hot, tired, bored and ruining my time in an art gallery. I also learned that the Corcoran is an educational institute for fine arts, and my mentor actually interned at the Corcoran when she was a John Glenn Fellow-so I was glad to see the Gallery before I met her for a second time.

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment