Monday, June 28, 2010

Jazz in the Garden


On Friday I, along with what felt like half of the city, attended "Jazz in the Garden." This event is help every Friday, starting in May, in the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden. The music and festivities run from 5 until 8:30, with this weeks featured band being Nattybeaux, a jump swing band. There is beer and sangria sold, but I learned that most people just bring their own refreshments.

My plan was to meet my friend there, but I was in charge of finding a spot to lay out our blanket. This was no easy feat, so I walked around the garden to do a little people watching. Most of the crowd were young professionals who were just getting off work, but there were also a few older couples and families. I witnessed one older couple next to the band dancing and swinging each other around... one of the highlights of the evening. After finding a spot across from the Archive building, my friend came with snacks and wine. We tried to listen to the band, but the chatter was so loud we were unable to hear.


By the end of the evening it had cooled off and people were having a good time. So much of a good time that some decided it would be a good idea to dance around in the pond located in the middle of the garden. We referred to this as "controlled chaos."

All in all, it was an awesome evening. I am finding a lot of free things to do in the city, and this is definitely something I want to do again and recommend to people of all ages.

LS

No comments:

Post a Comment