Sunday, June 27, 2010

Our Nation's Presidents


On Sunday we decided to have lunch in Chinatown and then go see Toy Story 3. We had extra time between the two events, so we stopped at the National Portrait Gallery. We spent some time wondering around the first floor and eventually found the Presidents' exhibit.

My favorite presidential portrait was of John F. Kennedy. I loved the use of color and the way that it was not the traditional portrait. The unique use of color reminds me of a true painting and gives Kennedy a modern flair. I also learned that Elaine de Kooning, who painted Kennedy, originally planned only to do a single portrait but enjoyed working with Kennedy's features so much that she ended up doing a series instead.

My favorite exhibit in the National Portrait Gallery was the Times' Presidential Exhibit. I learned that all incumbent presidents but Herbert Hoover have had the pleasure of being on the cover of the Times since Warren Harding. Currently, Richard Nixon is leading the total with 56 appearances. I like this cover of President Obama, which is supposed to emulate one of FDR after he won his election. It was definitely among my favorite in the entire museum. - Kelly F.

No comments:

Post a Comment