Saturday, June 26, 2010

the "noblest of Washington buildings"

Tuesday, I ventured on my own the the National Portrait Gallery. Not knowing what to expect, I signed myself up for the 11:45am highlights tour and to my surprise, was one of two people. However, I was very fortunate to meet a 65-year-old nurse from Arizona and a tour guide that reminded me of my grandmother. The small group allowed us to have a very personalized experience, one that I would recommend even to those not interested in art.
Walt Whitman praised the building as the "noblest of Washington buildings," and it is gorgeous. The construction of the building began in 1836 and was completed in 1868. One of the first public buildings constructed in Washington, today it serves as one of the nation's finest examples of Greek Revival architecture.
My tour focused on two exhibits: American Origins and America's Presidents. The President's exhibit is notable because it is one of the only places where portraits of all our presidents are gathered in one place. After my guided tour I explored the Portraiture Now exhibit (unfortunately pictures were not allowed) and the exhibit for 20th-Century Americans.
However, the architecture of the building remained the biggest surprise and my favorite part of the tour. From the Robert and Arlene Kogod Courtyard to the design of the 3rd floor Great Hall, I might just go again before my stay is finished in D.C.


-LT

No comments:

Post a Comment