Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday Morning at Eastern Market


For my first Saturday morning in DC I thought I would visit Eastern Market and the weekend farmer’s market. I normally visit farmer’s markets in Columbus and Cincinnati, OH; so I already have an appreciation for the fresh produce and local art markets have to offer. Apparently, public fresh-food markets were included in L'Enfant's original plans for the City of Washington. The Eastern Market was completed in 1873 and is one of the few public markets left in Washington, DC. Also, Eastern Market is the only one retaining its original public market function.

When I walked inside the Eastern Market I initially noticed a long line for a breakfast food booth. I firmly believe a good indicator for good quality food is to look for a long line. If people are willing to wait in line for breakfast food it must be good. I need to visit that booth on another Saturday to find out why people are willing to wait in a long line. The weekend farmer’s market had a variety of in-season fruits and vegetables. Across the street from the farmer’s market was a flea market that had booths for local artist.
-Helene

No comments:

Post a Comment