Monday, July 5, 2010

Can you handle Peri-Peri?

The picture above shows Chinatown’s Friendship Archway. The neighborhood is home to the most prominent Chinese and Asian restaurants. Because of gentrification, there are a lot of new businesses, and one is not limited to Asian restaurants but can also enjoy a variety of ethnic foods. I was so excited when I saw the restaurant Nando’s because the last time I had a meal there was when I lived in South Africa.

Nando’s is a restaurant that originates from South Africa with a Portuguese and Mozambiquan theme. Nando’s specializes in chicken dishes, and one can choose from flavor options such as lemon and herb, medium, hot, and extra hot peri-peri. The name Peri-Peri is used in Mozambique to describe the African Bird’s-Eye Chili Pepper. Peri-Peri sauce is used often in many East-African soups and stews. I opted for the medium sauce because I did not want my mouth to be on fire. If you are adventurous to choose this extra hot spice make sure you have a beverage right next to you!!!

I had a great time in Chinatown. I was not surprised to see Starbucks, CVS, Hooters, and Urban Outfitters. As result of globalization, U.S. companies have more flexibility in relocating their businesses at home and abroad. I found it interesting that most of these new businesses must hang their store names also Chinese in order to preserve the culture. This made me think about how the process of globalization can be more effective in preserving other cultures. But is that even possible? And if we don’t preserve other cultures, will there be a Clash of Civilizations as Samuel Huntington suggests in his book, The Clash of Civilizations: the Remaking of World Order. Huntington asserted that the primary cause of conflict in the future will be along cultural lines. Many scholars have argued against his thesis but I sometimes wonder whether globalization is causing more harm than good…

The Gallery Place-Chinatwon station is on the Red, Green, and Yellow lines of the Washington Metro.

-OI




No comments:

Post a Comment