Friday, July 9, 2010

Chinatown.

I know many other students have visited Chinatown and posted blogs about it previously, but I couldn't resist an opportunity to share my experience.

Chinatown took me by surprise. I have visited Chinatowns in New York City and London so D.C.'s Chinatown was not what I expected. There were a lot of restaurants, but no underground purse trafficking or vendors on the street. It was also only a few blocks long. Similar to previous posters, I did think it was interesting how many American stores were present within the few blocks. Hooters and Bed, Bath & Beyond took me by surprise the most because I hadn't seen stores like this anywhere else in Washington, D.C. I did make a quick stop into the "Kung Fu Shop", but I didn't go through with the purchase of any nunchucks. I have heard that Chinatown, not surprisingly, is a popular place to celebrate Chinese New Year. I would like to think that during this celebration, true Chinese culture is able to come out more than it does in the everyday bustle of this area.

While I was in Chinatown, I wanted to sample the cuisine so I found a small restaurant in the middle of the scene. The cooks were making noodles in the window of the restaurant. There were also birds and other types of meat hanging in the window. I liked seeing the noodles being made, but I would have preferred not to have seen the hanging meat. I sampled the egg rolls and they were pure fried deliciousness. I can't wait to return to Chinatown for a full taste of what this area of Washington, D.C. can offer to satisfy my craving for authentic Chinese food.

- Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment