Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ducks



Since my parents were in town over the 4th of July weekend I decided to do something "touristy." I took them on a DC Ducks tour, which is a 90 minute tour around the city, with a stop in the Potomac River. I wouldn't normally take a bus tour because I find them quite boring, but this was awesome! I learned a ton of different things about the city, such as the story behind the position of Ulysses S. Grant in front of the Capitol. It was also made clear the reason Grant coined the term "lobbyist," a fact our tour guide from the National Buildings Museum was unsure of. Another fact I learned was that Constitution Ave. was originally a canal, and that there is a monument dedicated to Japanese Americans for their patriotism and sacrifice during WWII, along with a ton of other facts that escape me right now. Toward the end of the tour we took a short trip into the Potomac, where we saw the bridge that was hit by an airplane in the 80's, and sat in the boat while planes flew over head. If anyone is in the mood for a relaxing, information filled hour and a half, that does not include the typical monuments I recommend a DC Ducks tour.
(Man near the docks of the Tidal Basin)

1 comment: