Saturday, July 17, 2010

National Geographic Museum


Today I visited the National Geographic Museum. The Museum changes their exhibit every few months and during the summer the exhibit is "Da Vanci: The Genius". The main part of the exhibit showed some of Da Vinci's many sketches and real life models of what the sketches would have looked like. I found the video explaining 'The Last Supper' the most interesting part of the exhibit. The museum was also inspiring because da Vinci created so much in his lifetime. He was so interested in all aspects of the world. He was a sculptor, a painter, a musician, a mathematician, a scientist, an architect, a writer, and many other things. His "unquenchable curiosity" led to incredible inventions and timeless artwork. My favorite quote from da Vinci is, "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." This is a good quote to live by and I think we can all learn from it in our internships, our studies and our lives.

The other part of the museum had examples of inventions that are designed for the 90% of the world that does not have the resources to live a sustainable lifestyle. This part of the world is not able to have good education systems, healthy drinking water, or even shelter, so a lot of inventors have created way to cook without fire, distill dirty water, or keep mosquitos away from beds. I didn't realize that so much of the world was uneducated or had such problems like not being able to drink water. I'm thankful that I've never had to worry about things like this but it did put an outlook on my career in public service. I would like to one day be a part of an organization that helps to diminish the problems that 90% of the world have.

- Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment