Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yet another interesting day at the Freer

When I learned that Dr. Robert Thurman, a preeminent Indo-Tibetan scholar, was giving a lecture in DC, I knew I had to attend. I frequently reference Dr. Thurman's books in my own research (and he just happens to be Uma Thurman's dad). Luckily for me, the Smithsonian makes these kinds of events available to the public for free at the Freer Gallery of Art.

The Freer and Sackler Galleries house numerous Asian Art collections, including a rare Tibetan religious artifact collection. Dr. Thurman's lecture described this collection and topics of Tibetan Buddhism in general. Dr. Thurman teaches at Columbia University, and has been a personal friend of the Dalai Lama for forty years. A pioneer in his field, he cleared the way for others interested in studying Tibetan issues. I was lucky enough to talk to some of his (past) students in the lobby, and was able to meet him as well.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Freer has been a hub for me during my stay in DC. I've toured it, attended two events (the other was an Indian music event), and spent over an hour there while the festival was closed for a thunderstorm (during which the lobby became quite festive. There is a video on my facebook page for those interested). It seems that- dare I make a pun here?- the best things in life are at the Freer.

1 comment: