Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Change of Mind


I have, like other college students, thought about what to do after college. I have considered many options: grad school, a nonprofit job, a federal job, or the Peace Corps. Walking through the arch of the Peace Corps section of the Smithsonian Folklife Festival got me thinking about the option I had put aside in the middle of last year. Background information: I had attended an information session on the Peace Corps. During the presentation I kept on asking myself if I had it in me to pursue such a task. Allowing an institution to decide my life for 24 months, two years, is a huge decision. As I listened to their video presentation, I kept on wondering if I could adapt and live in the environments that are so different from what I am used to. On top of that, be away from my family and friends fro that large period of time. It would be a challenge, even if I have moved multiple times before college.

Back to the Festival. There were many different posts to explore. I began by walking to my left, where there was a makeshift structure of boards and chicken wire filled with plastic bottles and plastic bags. I read the description of this station and I was shocked, in a good way. This Peace Corps volunteer saw two problems when she arrived in Guatemala. One, there was a shortage of schools for the community’s children and, two; there was an abundance of trash. So, the project she took on during her stay was to find a solution, which she did. She found a way to make a structure by recycling the trash economically. By filling plastic bottles with three pounds of trash, it replaced the more expensive cement blocks used to make the foundations of a school. The structure is just as sturdy as cement blocks against earthquakes! This woman changed the education opportunities for the community around her. That project and those schools are in a way, her legacy. I was inspired.

I also met so many interesting people and I truly enjoyed myself speaking to a vivacious man from Mali in French as well as a simply creative man from Peru in Spanish and a knowledgeable woman from Togo.

That’s when it struck me. I want this experience from the Peace Corps. I want to take this challenge. As Mr. Aronowitz said, you should always challenge yourself. I always have and I do not want to stop now.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand how the trash gets in the bottles. Liquid trash?

    Inspiring post, but somebody needs to claim it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottles are stuffed with plastic, mostly. It was presented as a kids activity, they were using wooden spoons to stuf bits of plastic into bottles.

    -CFC

    ReplyDelete