Saturday, July 30, 2011

Family and Museums


I was finally able to go see various exhibitions this past weekend. I walked through The Museum of American History, the National Gallery, and the Newseum. This was due to my family visiting and making me go out and explore in this heat.

I loved walking through the dresses of the numerous first ladies. Looking at the fashions that have occurred throughout the years. The shape and material of the dresses vary greatly. The accessories have also changed. Their shoes were smaller and looked tighter than the more recent shoes. Jewelry and personal belongings were more detailed and elaborate. But most significant to me was being so close to something that belonged to such important women like Eleanor Roosevelt.

Visiting the National Art Gallery was important because my parents were on a mission. They had gone to Italy and seen a collection of statues and the last one my parents had to see, the Capitoline Venus, was on loan to the National Art Gallery. This is the first time the Capitoline Venus has been on loan. My family and I also saw the only Leornado da Vinci painting in the United States, Ginevra de’ Benci. It was awe-inspiring to see this portrait. I have never seen a work of art of his until now.

Finally, we also spent a significant amount of time at the Newseum. Going from level to level, many exhibitions shocked me. One was the exhibition that holds various books that have historical value: Common Sense, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Life and Times of Frederick Douglass, and the Gutenberg’s Bible. Another exhibition is that of 9/11. Being in 5th grade when the event occurred, watching the video they have on display emotionally reminded me of the truly historic event. The last exhibition was the Pulitzer Prize photos. Many of them moved me so much. Especially that featured above. It is saddening to see how children are starving to death. The picture above shows a Sudanese child. The United Nations has currently proclaimed that Somalia is in a state of hunger.

CFC

No comments:

Post a Comment