Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thinking with my stomach


I really just can't help myself, my stomach tells me where to go, what TV to watch, what to look forward to as a study break, etc. It's a very good thing that I'm a runner and 98% of the time very health conscious, because sometimes, like tonight, I just can't help it.

Earlier during the work week, some of the younger women at my office took me to a gelato parlor that was by all means not very good. However, it had been a rougher day and a so-so week so the sugar/chocolate combo did the trick. I realized at that point that even though I've had gelato before and am mostly Italian, I really didn't know what gelato is. The girls at my office explained the difference between gelato and ice cream is the milkfat content (gelato is about 5-8% and ice cream in the US has to be 10% but can be as much as 18%!) and the churning process is different--basically you get a leaner product in terms of milkfat and less air incorporated in the mixture with gelato. My coworkers then told me that the best place in DC to get gelato is a local chain called Pitango and that it just so happened that a store had opened down by Eastern Market.

So, tonight when I needed a break from reading I was able to satisfy my sweet tooth and justify an adventure to Eastern Market as an excuse to blog--a win-win in my book! My friend and I went to the parlor and each tried the pistachio and another flavor; chocolate with chocolate chip for me and stracciatella for him (vanilla with chocolate chips). It was delicious! After some online research and placard reading at the store, I was pleased to hear that Pitango is 100% organic and only purchases ingredients from local, sustainable farms from Pennsylvania. Interestingly, it only has locations in DC, Baltimore, and Reston, VA., poor Pennsylvania.

It was a fantastic study break with some walking, chatting, and gelato made in DC with attention to authenticity and thoughtfulness about responsible production.

KMB

No comments:

Post a Comment