Sunday, July 17, 2011

Howard U




A couple of days ago I took the dreaded test that can make or break my grad school future: The GRE. Even though I first experienced the worst test ever last month, the same anxiety and apprehension approached on test day. I could spend multiple blog posts explaining how standardized tests like the GRE are ridiculous but I don't have that kind of time or patience:) Luckily, I was able to take the test on a college campus that has always been an interest of mine: Howard University.


Howard U is a historically black university that is regarded in the African-American community as one of the best HBCUS( historical black colleges and universities) in the country. During my own college search, I seriously considered applying to Howard based on its recognition in the community and strong academic programs. Although I did not apply to Howard, it has always held my interest. From its historical buildings to the famous homecoming traditions, Howard tends to captivate people regardless of their university affiliation.


Although the financial troubles and graduation rates of HBCUs have been well-documented over the last few years, I believe that they are a cultural and historical reminder of a time where HBCUs were the only places African Americans could receive a college education. Today, they continue to produce Rhodes Scholars, politicians, actors, musicians, and authors who continue to add to both the African American and American pop culture. Despite not attending an HBCU myself( I bleed Scarlet and Gray) I have so much respect and pride for the HBCUS. Plus, Howard made the GRE a little less stressful with their amazingly comfortable chairs! :)


JT

No comments:

Post a Comment