Monday, July 11, 2011

The Other Side of D.C.




Living in the historic neighborhood of Capitol Hill, it is very easy to adapt to the scenery: gorgeous townhouses, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress. All symbols of power, history, and meaning that all Americans recognize with pride. Being around such awe-inspiring landmarks, I realized that the area is very much a part of the D.C. bubble that can almost make you forget that there is more to the city than these few blocks of priceless real estate.




My internship at Bright Beginnings, Inc introduced me to the side of D.C. that seems so far removed from our government surroundings. Taking the Metro only one stop away from Union Station, I work in a neighborhood that doesn't reflect the same power and affluence that is present along the Hill. As I walk the 10-minute journey to my site, I walk past the signs of typical gentrification( new office space, brand new condos) and approach housing projects in need of renovations. Even at my internship, I feel conflicted to know that I'm able to leave and return to a fully-furnished apartment, while some of the children we serve will return to the homeless shelter that they call a temporary home. I think it is very easy to believe that in D.C., there is a a greater chance of prosperity and resources since it is the nation's capital. However, my internship has taught me that the city is home to many disenfranchised, struggling residents whose voices aren't expressed in those high-powered meetings just a couple miles away.




Luckily, I work in an awesome place that tries to eradicate such injustice. Bright Beginnings is a non-profit organization that provides free childcare for homeless children and social services for their parents in order to help them get back on their feet. Last week, my organization had their annual event called Parent Auction, which rewards active parents by allowing them to take their pick on brand new items such as gift cards, baby products, and the always helpful George Forman Grill! I was a "personal shopper" for the parents and helped them organize their points and choose which items they wanted most. It was such a great experience to help reward parents that are doing their very best to become self-sufficient and provide a better life for their children. Despite glaring inequalities that can be seen in any city throughout the country, I'm proud to be a part of an organization that is trying to eradicate the issue.


JT

No comments:

Post a Comment