Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Power Lunch in DC

This week, I went to what is known as "the oldest, most historic saloon in D.C" or the Old Ebbitt Grill. Not only was this an amazing experience because it is a restaurant that is rich with history, but also because I had the other two interns at the US Office of Postsecondary Education, as well as two high ranking officials, in my company.
The Old Ebbitt Grille was founded in 1856 by William B. Ebbitt. According to legend, the Ebbitt boarding house and saloon were frequented by such guests as Presidents McKinley, Grant, Andrew Johnson, Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt and Harding. As the years passed, the saloon frequently switched locations until it moved to its current location of 675 15th St NW, which sits in close proximity to the White House. Due to this location, the restaurant is frequented by tourists and White House staff alike. Although the food was expensive, it was delicious! I had a spinach and salmon salad.
My company during the lunch was also great! I was joined by my two fellow interns, Allison, a public policy student from Duke, and Gardiner, a public policy student from Dartmouth, as well as Leonard Haynes, a fellow Buckeye and Department of Education Senior Staff member. Together we discussed current political issues, as well as the rich political history of Washington. Leonard also asked us for suggestions on how to improve the Department, office environment, and internships. It was an exciting opportunity to have my voice heard and I felt like my opinion actually mattered within the Department. Overall it was a great power lunch in DC!

Until next time,
C.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment