Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Meeting the Best

I think it is fair to say that since we've arrived in DC we have heard ten million times the same phrase: it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know. Any city provides interns and newcomers the chance to meet professionals in their field, but DC is a whole other story. It is a major city yet has a small-town vibe where news travels fast and social circles seem increasingly small. With such a culture, it is a great place for student interns to meet with professionals in their field of interest. I know that I want to pursue a career in education policy and DC has proven to be an amazing opportunity to interact with numerous policymakers, aides, and educators who are trying to end the education inequity in our country.

Yesterday, I was able to meet with Tasha Patusky, a legislative aide for Senator Mary Landrieu of Louisiana. A few weeks ago, I attended an education referendum where Sen. Landrieu gave an awesome speech on the importance of education reform. I knew that it would be a long shot but I contacted her office to schedule a possible meeting. Sen. Landrieu's schedule is booked( after all she is on the appropriations committee!) but I was directed to her aide. The referral turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I had way too many things in common with Tasha. She majored in history and a romance language ( like me!), worked for Teach For America ( like I am now!), and received her masters in policy( like I want to!). Basically, it was a match made in education heaven!

As I walked down the Dirken hallway to Sen. Landrieu's office, I couldn't help but feel a sense of honor and awe. Here I am, a normal college student meeting with an accomplished aide to one of the most powerful women on the Hill. Luckily, the office secretaries eased my nervousness with their Southern hospitality( how could you expect anything less from a Louisiana staff).

My coffee meeting with Tasha was just what I needed to remind me of why I want to work in education. Tasha says she still carries a great love for teaching and that being on the Hill has allowed her to help education inequity in a different way. What I loved the most about our conversation is that Tasha was incredibly hopeful and optimistic about education. I know it might now sound like a big deal, but I've heard many negative things about my career aspirations since being in DC. There are many people who either don't care about the education inequity because their children aren't the losers in the situation or who believe it is a lost cause to try to fix this problem. It is really upsetting to hear such things because there are millions of children, more often low income and students of color, who are not receiving the education that they deserve. However, instead of being supportive and encouraging, I have heard some bruising comments regarding education reform. That's why Tasha's passion and optimism for education was so refreshing to hear and her words of encouragement gave me a lot of relief.

I left our meeting feeling that not only did I make the right career choice, but that this city gives students like myself amazing opportunities to meet others who are passionate and successful in their job fields. A simple coffee meeting has given me a new supporter, affirmed interest in education, and another reason to love DC!

- JT

No comments:

Post a Comment