Friday, July 29, 2011

First Day With The Kids

I am lucky enough to work in at a non-profit that provides pre-k education and childcare to homeless children. I was getting very frustrated these last few weeks as I had gone to the other side of DC for a physical and a eventful trip to the courthouse to get my background check only to be told that I would be able to volunteer for 1 day in one of the classrooms. *blank face*

LUCKILY, after politely reminding my boss that I have a whole four weeks left and that since I mostly work from home, I would loooove to have more than just a day with the kids. Thank goodness it worked out and this week was my first time being with the kids. From 9 - 5 on Wednesday, I was a classroom assistant for a class filled with little four year olds eager to play outside and hop around the room. It had been a while since I had worked with children that young, but it is easily one of my best experiences of the summer.

I was a little nervous that the kids wouldn't really warm up to me that quickly but after a total of one minute in the room, one of the little girls told me her name and led me to the "reading corner" so I could read a book to her. The entire day was spent going over words and sounds, singing songs, and being the go-to person for tag. :)

It was the best time being able to actually spend time with the children and help them develop their own skills. More than half of the class will be leaving the program to go to kindergarten in a few weeks, so I felt a little tinge of sadness knowing they will be going into kindergarten, in both great and not-so-great elementary schools. I think I have a greater sense of urgency to respond to education reform because I am working with a group of children whose educational opportunities are shaped by their zip code.

Fortunately, I will be able to volunteer as many days as I want for the rest of my time here and I plan to be in classroom #6 on a regular basis!

- JT

No comments:

Post a Comment