Friday, August 12, 2011

A Birthday in D.C.

This summer, I was fortunate enough to turn 21 in one of our nation's capital. While this seems like it would be awesome, I was a little worried. Your twenty-first birthday is generally one of the most memorable and it was going to be difficult to celebrate it without my family and friends. Also, there is just so much to do in D.C; how could I possibly choose something special enough for my birthday? Thankfully, my worries went away as soon as the day actually came. First, my Glenn school family rallied and took me out to celebrate at midnight on my birthday. Secondly, my boyfriend came first thing in the morning to spend the day with me, which my boss generously gave me off from work.

After he arrived, we immediately headed to the National Museum of Natural History. The exhibits themselves were amazing! I especially enjoyed the "Ocean Hall," which obviously featured some of our ocean's most fascinating creatures. Not only did it have life size models of the Lion's Mane Jellyfish and Blue Whale hanging from the ceiling, but also a live coral reef with tropical fish. Another one of my favorites was the "Butterflies + Plants: Partners in Evolution" Exhibit. This exhibit featured a Butterfly Pavilion, with live butterflies! The pavilion allowed us to get really close and interact with some of the world's rarest butterflies. Also, the pavilion was not very crowded, so we were given some pineapple to feed the butterflies. Upon receiving the pineapple, the butterflies flocked to us!

After our trip to the Museum, it was time for dinner. My boyfriend and I travelled up to K St to dine at a restaurant called Kaz Sushi Bistro and were seated at the sushi. Sushi is my favorite food and I was in heaven at this restaurant. They had everything from tuna nigiri to yellow tale belly sashimi to seaweed salad. The meal was delicious and our waitress surprised me with a green tea tiramisu as a birthday treat! Following dinner, we decided to head to a lounge one of coworkers recommended near The White House. Called Point of View, its located on of the W Hotel and has amazing views of the entire city. Despite the high prices, it was perfect and we celebrated until the clock struck 12 and my birthday was finally over. I have to say it was my favorite birthday yet!

- C. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment