Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Walks around DC


As it quickly dawns on me that my stay in DC is coming to an end, there are still many places I would like to visit (National Archives, Arlington Cemetery). Yet I find myself visiting the same places, not new ones. I have always enjoyed a casual walk in the evenings and I believe one of the best places to do that is in DC (on the hill that is). I have walked to the Washington monument, the World War II memorial, the Korean War memorial, the Lincoln Monument, the Vietnam memorial, the FDR memorial, and the Jefferson monument in numerous orders and with different company. I have truly enjoyed each time, even the latest walk this past weekend in the rain.

Another walk I enjoy is to the Eastern Market. I always find it to be a productive outing. I relish walking by houses and looking at the different colors, lawn arrangements, greeting families with their dogs, and smelling the occasional barbecue. Upon arriving to the market, before the produce section, I walk through a series of tables filled with jewelry and other knick knacks made by local artists. It’s fun to peruse the tables as I remind myself that I do not need more jewelry. Before my produce purchases, I make a run through all the stands to determine from which seller the produce is cheaper and looks the best. There is something calming for me as I solely focus my attention to sorting through the fruits and vegetables, thinking about what I’ll cook throughout the week. It keeps my mind off the numerous other things on my “to-do” list.

Other walks to experience are to varying establishments. There is a delicious gelato place near the Eastern Market, a beautiful Sculpture Garden, and a hidden water fountain next to the capitol building. I encourage everyone to seek them out.

CFC

No comments:

Post a Comment