Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Meeting THE Wolf

As I watched President Obama's interview in Iowa with Wolf Blitzer it made me realize that I never shared my story of meeting THE Wolf Blitzer when I toured CNN. A couple of weeks ago I was granted a tour of CNN's DC Bureau. A former Ohio State graduate, who is currently the political director for CNN in Washington, told me when we met last fall to send him an email when I was in town and he would gladly show me around the building. I contacted him after I was settled in DC and we eventually set up a date to meet at his office.

I arrived after a long day of work at the CNN office, which is tucked away behind Union Station. I met Steve in the lobby and we went up to the main offices where many of the CNN political stories are born. The building, as a whole, was very nice, but the CNN offices were much more impressive in comparison. The entire office had been under renovation and parts still were, but most of the projects were complete.

The first level we stopped at held many of the policy analysts and journalists that are working around the clock to stay on top of all the big stories in an attempt to break the next big one. The floor was designed with clusters of desks and monitors together based on what area in Washington they focused on. There was a team for the White House, another for Congress, and even one for campaign politics.

The office was full of flat screen TVs and Apple computer monitors with CNN programs playing or pictures of the building renovations cycling on a slide show. There were even pictures of the day that the building lost power minutes before Wolf Blitzer was about to begin his show. They quickly made some last minute adjustments and shot the show outside by sunlight.

After meeting a few young journalists Steve and I headed upstairs to see a couple of the studios. We slipped into a silent studio that is the set for John King USA and The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. It was clear that the crew was getting ready for the next show. As I looked around what was a much smaller studio than I had imagined the door that I had just entered through opened behind me. I turned around to see Wolf Blitzer smile at me and stride by me onto the set.

Steve was nice enough to introduce me to the one of the most recognizable political talk show hosts in the country. I traded small talk about Ohio State with Mr. Blitzer for a minute and then posed for a photo op on the studio floor with Wolf in the background. It was an incredible experience--one that I will never forget.

Unfortunately, I still do not have the photo in my possession. I am waiting for Steve to email it to me. Considering what the summer has been like for Washington politics and those attempting to cover all of the hoopla, I'll give him some time.

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment