Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Most Important Meal of the Day...

My mother has always taught me that it's important to treat yourself nicely and reward yourself after hard work. With that in my mind, I knew I'd have to find something fun to do during my last week here in DC after working for 9 weeks, taking class, and writing a research paper. My very first day of work, as I was walking to the office, I passed the Sofitel Hotel. I immediately was captivated by the very fancy breakfast that they were serving at the hotel's restaurant, ici Bistro. As I have passed by the hotel and restaurant everyday to and from work, it didn't take me long to decide that breakfast there would be my treat to myself for a summer of hard work.

I convinced one of my fellow John Glenn-ers to splurge and spend the money on a super fancy breakfast. We made reservations last week and have been waiting in anticipation for the day of our elegant breakfast to finally arrive. And oh, it did not disappoint.

We arrived and were ushered to very comfortable chairs outside on the patio. They served us our coffee in a french press and orange juice in a wine glass. They also brought a basket of croissants and other breads to eat with our plates of scrambled eggs. All the staff was very friendly and all had French accents, though I forgot to ask where each of them was from. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and my favorite type of food, this was an excellent way to start off my second to last day of my internship.

Even though I cringed when the bill came, as I have cringed a lot this summer when I realized how much I owed different establishments around the city, I didn't regret the decision to eat there. It was just the relaxing time that I needed to get me through my last week. It really made me stop and think about how much I've enjoyed my time here this summer, how much I've learned and how much I appreciate all the wonderful people I have met, both in the program and at my work. While the breakfast only lasted about an hour, this whole summer has been awesome and I know I'll continue to appreciate the opportunity I had here for a long time to come.

1 comment: