Saturday, August 13, 2011

Monuments in the Moonlight and Rivalry Love


It's been a major theme since I've gotten to DC--you know, the whole everyone-hating-Ohio-State thing, but after the Five Stages of Grief, I've been able to accept that I go to a controversial school (and that everyone else is just jealous). On my first day at Citizens for Global Solutions, the staff took all of the interns out to lunch. We all introduced ourselves with the typical elevator speech. Upon meeting Carly from Michigan, there was, of course, the initial horror that strikes the heart of any loyal OSU or Michigan student, but being the grown, mature, educated women that we are, we quickly became friends and were able to overlook the century long rivalry.

Since then, we have become the best of friends. We've given each other career, traveling, school, and boy advice. This Wednesday night, confronted with the fact that she would soon be leaving DC to head back to school, Carly and I decided to have a delicious soul food dinner at Oohh's and Aahh's and tour the monuments at night. It turns out that it was a lovely DC evening, not oppressively hot and even a little breezy, and there's no better time to see the monuments than when they're lit up in the darkness.

It was incredible to see how vacant the streets were -- even at the White House! Only about 30 people stood in front of the gates and admired the relatively quaint home of the President (considering the grandiose structures of other nations). After the White House, we strolled past the Washington Monument on our way to the greatest view of all: the Jefferson Memorial. Walking along the winding paths that hug the tidal basin, I was in awe of the remarkable structure and its brilliant glow spilling over the water.

After a summer of living the life of a true DC resident, it was time that I had a touristy evening, and I was quickly reminded of why people travel from so far to see the beauty of the city. While I have my complaints about the weather and the divisive politics, it has truly been an amazing experience and I've grown to love DC like a home. Also, I suppose that in a city that is defined by the divisions in politics, even a Buckeye and a Wolverine can become great friends.

SF

No comments:

Post a Comment