Sunday, August 14, 2011

Great Food, Great History

One of my favorite places I’ve eaten all summer has been Martin’s Tavern in Georgetown. It’s a famous hotspot; a Washington establishment, some might say.

Martin’s has been a favorite restaurant for a handful of Presidents, and as a result of it being so popular, it has been visited by every sitting President from Harry Truman to George W. Bush. President Obama, if you’re reading this, I highly recommend visiting Martin’s; not only to keep the tradition going, but also so you can order the eggs benedict (pretty fabulous).

Not only was the food at Martin’s great, but the place is ripe with history. Being a gathering place for so many famous people, many of the booths in the restaurant have earned their own special classifications. The booth next to the one my mom, sister and I ate in was the booth where JFK apparently proposed to Jackie (that’s my favorite story, as most people who know me will be able to attest to the fact that I’m obsessed with the Kennedy family). Another booth a few down was apparently JFK’s favorite; he lived in Georgetown while he was a Senator, and he went to Mass at the church right down the street from Martin’s. Harry Truman and his wife have their own famous booth, where they would frequently meet for dinner when he was a Senator and she was a student at GWU. Nixon and LBJ both had their own booths, and according to Martin’s, apparently Soviet spies would camp out and eavesdrop on all the famous and important people who would come to dine there.

What a cool place. What great food. If there’s one spot I’d recommend everyone checking out before we all make our way back to Columbus for the school year, it’s definitely Martin’s Tavern.

Here’s their website in case you wanted to know more!! And definitely let me know if you'd like to go.
http://www.martins-tavern.com/


LZ

No comments:

Post a Comment