Thursday, August 11, 2011

You Just Never Know Who You're Going to Meet...

After work yesterday, I decided to take a stroll over to Dupont Circle and plop myself on a park bench to continue my reading of A Diplomat's Progress. After about 30 minutes or so of sitting there, a man about my age approached me and asked if he could sit on the bench next to me. I told him that he could, and went back to my reading. After a couple of minutes, he asked me, "Do you know how to speak English very quickly?" I replied that yes, I'm a native speaker of English. He seemed delighted once I said this and informed me that he was here in the U.S. studying English but that he had trouble finding people to practice with. I told him that I would be more than happy to practice English with him, and we began our conversation there in the park.

I learned that he had come to the U.S. from Gabon in November and that he has been studying English at a community college in Virginia, just outside of D.C. He was shocked that I had even heard of his country and that I knew its relative location (West Central Africa). His only friend in this country thus far was one of his classmates who is from Cameroon, and since both of their native languages are French, they almost never speak English together.

As we continued talking he told me that his plans here were to pass the TOEFL and then make his way to college. He had had dreams of becoming a doctor, but many people he had met told him that it was impossible to do that without money, so he switched his goals to becoming an electrical engineer. I encouraged him to not give up on his dream of becoming a doctor, that if he really wanted it he could find a way, though he remained dubious. In most other countries, the idea of taking out loans to pay for education does not exist; your family either has the money upfront to pay for your education, you attend a free public university, or you don't go to college. Loans are not an option.

I asked him if he wanted to return to Gabon eventually, and he said of course! Why wouldn't he? He said he had to stay here and finish school because his parents would be disappointed if he returned home without a degree, but once he finished his degree he was definitely going to go back. I explained my future goal of living abroad, and how I wasn't sure if I would return to the U.S. or stay abroad permanently and he looked at me like I was crazy. Why wouldn't I want to come back home? In all honesty, I'm still not sure the response to that question.

We discussed the difficulties he had been having adjusting to life in the U.S., and how people were much more stand-offish than in his home country. He said I was the first random person who had been willing to have a full conversation with him here in D.C. He explained that in Gabon it's totally normal to strike up conversations with complete strangers, invite them out to eat, exchange contact information, etc. the very first time you meet someone. As a frequent traveler, I know that's how it is in many other countries, but I didn't know what to tell him other than that Americans aren't trying to be rude, they just often have a difficult time trusting people they first meet. He understood, but contended that it made it much more difficult for him to meet people and, hence, practice his English.

We talked for close to an hour, him telling me about culture and dress in Gabon, and me giving him advice on things he had to see while here in D.C. When it was time to leave, I wished him the best in DC. As I walked away I couldn't help but smile -- I absolutely love meeting people from other countries and other cultures, sharing stories with them and hearing how their experiences and perspectives differ from my own. Those types of encounters really make me feel fulfilled and remind me why I study international relations and encourage me that, yes, I am headed the right direction.


-CRP

No comments:

Post a Comment