Thursday, August 18, 2011

Top Ten

As I put the final touches on my research paper and prepare to head back to Ohio, I can't help but reflect on a great quarter. I have had an incredible experience in Washington, DC this summer. This will undoubtedly be a summer I will never forget. I have learned more than I could have imagined, seen more than I had even hoped for, and met more incredible people here than I thought was possible. That is why I am wrapping up my summer with a top ten for the Washington Academic Internship Program, Summer of 2011.

10. The Congressional. Not one room is the same as another. A great location with a bit of personality. I will miss my small apartment.

9. The security guard at the Hall of States. Quite possibly one of the happiest people on earth. Being greeted by his radiant smile every Friday morning was a great start to my day. Stay classy my man.

8. Studying at the Library of Congress. Probably one of the neatest experiences of the summer. Merely sitting in the main reading room is an experience in itself.

7. Fourth of July. My family was in town. As usual, when trying to coordinate a family vacation, it was hectic and slightly stressful, but at the end of the night it was a successful birthday celebration for the greatest country on earth.

6. Seersucker suits. Need I say more?

5. Friday morning breakfast. Eating breakfast with my roommate, Steven, every Friday morning as we prepped for class. Well, except for that one Friday... oops.

4. The Metro. Love it. Hate it. I experienced both of these feelings towards this method of public transportation this summer. I will miss it, except for the smell.

3. The CIA. I will assume everyone is a spy until you prove otherwise. This was an incredible trip that made me want to be in the CIA. Although now I am quite paranoid about my daily interactions.

2. Orange juice on Saturday.

1. Gabrielle Giffords. I witnessed a moment in history as I sat in the gallery to see the debt ceiling pass. This brave congresswomen made her inspirational entrance to the House floor to cast her vote. I joined the entire room for multiple standing ovations.

So long DC. It's been a fun ride. I'm sure I'll be back for more. Ken and Mike - hold down the fort after I leave.

JF

No comments:

Post a Comment