Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Treat

Growing up in a city with extremely humid weather during the summer, it still surprises me that summer has always been my favorite season. For me, there is no better time of year that has the perfect combination of sunshine, ice cream. and fun!

One of the best summer surprise D.C. has given to me is the popularity of frozen yogurt. As one of the hottest-growing franchising chains, frozen yogurt has opened a whole new world for yogurt and ice cream lovers. D.C. has a large variety of frozen yogurt brands, especially in recent years, the popularity of this healthy dairy product has exploded.

My first taste of frozen yogurt in DC was at SweetGreen near Capitol Hill, a healthy, organic diner that offers salad, warps, and most importantly, frozen yogurt. It was a nice walk from Congressional, our apartment, the neighborhood was filled with beautifully organized gardens and friendly residents. After a nice walk, SweetGreen was the perfect place to have some refreshment. Their frozen yogurt not only came with the original tart flavor, but also fresh-cut fruits and toppings.

As for my personal favorite place, it has to be the Fro.Zen.Yo. I was skeptical and curious when the first time I walked into Fro.Zen.Yo - there were about eight machines that looked like McDonald’s milkshake maker, two flavors for each. Turned our Fro.Zen.Yo was a self-serve frozen yogurt place. For me this was definitely one of the best summer surprises, the happiness as a little kid in a candy store came back to me again when I was in Fro.Zen.Yo. I tried all the crazy flavors such as cheesecake, which is also my favorite, and strawberry-kiwi (non dairy) with fun toppings and delicious syrups. After I filled my cup with all the summer tasty treat, I placed my yogurt on a scale and paid by ounce. The trick I learned later from a frozen yogurt expert was to put toppings on the bottom first, then yogurt. And then more toppings, more yogurt. In this way one could maximize their yogurt flavor and topping choices with beautiful layers, just like a parfait.

Speaking of frozen yogurt, my best friend is in town this weekend. I am definitely taking her to the two places and getting some summer treat. Delicious!

- T.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment