Thursday, August 9, 2012

Boehnerland Poem


My office has all of the interns write and read a poem out loud to everyone your last day. This is the one I wrote thinking only other interns would read it. Little did I know everyone would listen to me read it.


My first time through the Republican cloakroom had me floored,
it’s funny when constituents think they must knock on our door.

I’ve walked the same hallways a thousand times,
Hopefully I’ll walk them a thousand more, getting paid, in my prime.

Young interns give tours better than old folks,
We just need one power point to be better than Red Coats.

You feel so important when tour groups ask for your picture or card,
being an intern here makes you sing the Whisper Effect like a bard.

It’s St. Nicholas and Christmas when you tow back a sack of candy,
Sour Patch Kids were so good they made me want to have a family.

The Speaker’s Balcony is superb but the dome tour wins,
why must people insist in sending petitions in such big bins?

When you feel like your hard work goes unnoticed and you don’t get the respect your due,
try to think of this internship as a long term job interview.

But what are you doing still reading my poem?
Go stock the fridge and stop those eyes from this ro--am.


- Alexander Hurd

No comments:

Post a Comment