Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Congressman Paul's on First


     One of the most exciting events that I have attended this summer was the Congressional Baseball game. Each year the Congressmen play a baseball game for charity where the Democrats play the Republicans at Nationals Park.  This year was a special game because Rep. Ron Paul was inducted into the Hall of Fame for the game because he is retiring this year. He was inducted into the hall because in 1979 he was the first person to hit an outside the park home run in the Congressional Baseball game.
      As an intern I had to go to the game early to save seats for our staff with the other interns, but this proved to have its advantages. I got in and saved our seats and to my surprise Ron Paul was sitting one section to my left. Eventually I went over to talk to him and he signed my hat and took a picture with me, which was not necessary but shows what kind of person he is.
      The game itself was a blowout as Dem. Rep. Cedric Richmond, who actually pitched in college, shut down the Republicans who really had no chance for the second year in a row. It was a great experience though, and one of the more memorable of my summer.

AH

1 comment: