Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Psycho

            Yesterday was one of the best events I have been to since I have been in DC called Screen on the Green. My friends and I grabbed a few blankets and made our way to the mall to see the showing of Psycho on the big screen. I was very excited because I have never seen the film before and have an affection for black and white movies. When we arrived we sat down near the front with a mass of people behind us. For a few fleeting seconds I looked to my right to see the sun setting behind the Washington Monument, with the blues, the golds, and the reds, mixing together to paint a perfect backdrop to the end of the day and the near end of my time in DC. I look to my left behind the screen to see the lights of the capital building light up around the dome to fight off the darkness. It really was a beautiful sight.
            Finally the projector switched on and started playing my favorite cartoon, Bugs Bunny. People laughed as Elmer Fudd chased Bugs Bunny around a jagged landscape with colors and silly faces nostalgic of childhood. Then, after Bugs Bunny ended the music started playing and everyone around us stood up. So, we stood up as well, and when the crowd of probably 150 people began to dance, so did we. After the sporadic dance party we took our seats and the movie began.
            I was amazed by how scary a movie from the 60’s could be. From the different angles and sharp, piercing horror music, more than one person in the audience jumped. Although, I would like to point out that I called what was going to happen at the ending. That night was the beginning of a great end to my last week in DC.

-Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment