Saturday, August 4, 2012

The White House Tour

What can I say about The White House?

Words cannot describe the detail, history and character of this beautiful mansion.

This week I had the honor of touring The White House as a Department of Education intern event. After about four instances of security checks, I instantly realized that I was about to walk into a place unlike anywhere else in the world. The House was full of presidential photos, portraits and statues. There was a beautiful garden (not Mrs. Obama's) outside of a large window, and an AIDS awareness quilt on display.

My favorite rooms, however, were upstairs. The views out of the windows were spectacular, and eagles were carved into almost every piece of furniture. My favorite room was the Blue Room. This room holds the official Christmas tree, and was once the site of a presidential wedding!

Being in the White House, I found myself constantly pondering what major decisions had been made behind those walls, and important people who entered its doors. For so many years, some of the most powerful people had stood where I stood and walked down the halls I admired during the tour. With the Cuban Missile Crisis still fresh in my mind because of last week's reading, I often thought about the decisions made by President Kennedy in that very important room down the hall.

I loved the experience, and even though my viewing was limited, it was one of the highlights of my summer.





-Aiesha White

No comments:

Post a Comment