Thursday, August 9, 2012

Moroccan Meal


       When my parents visited I could finally afford to go out to a nice meal. And by I, I mean they could afford to. We went to a Moroccan restaurant called Marrakesh and it was the most amazing meal I’ve ever had. I lived in Rabat, Morocco for five weeks during High School so my parents really wanted to eat some Moroccan food. After we had completed our Segway tour we invited a Belgian man named Tim to come with us out to dinner. He accepted without any idea of what was in store for him. We entered this restaurant after knocking on its outside door and being allowed entry. It looked like a regular Moroccan building surrounded by American ones. We came in and weren’t even given menus. Instead they just washed our hands and started serving us 7 courses. We started out with pita and veggies, moved on to chicken, some sort of cinnamon and sugar potpie, beef and chicken kabobs, and ended with fruit.
       We also drank a copious amount of wine with our meal and somehow ended up in a religious discussion which was awkward because me and Tim aren’t very religious whereas my parents are. Most of Europe and I are pretty cynical about the whole God thing. Anyways about midway through our meal a belly dancer came out and they dimmed the lights and people clapped jovially for her. I didn’t realize or intend for us to go to such a nice restaurant but I’m happy that we did. Apparently it’s one of the places to go to dinner in D.C. because the bathroom walls were lined with pictures of every celebrity imaginable like Brad Pitt and of course John Glenn.

-Alexander Hurd

No comments:

Post a Comment