Friday, June 10, 2016

A City Divided

D.C. is hard to describe when one is asked what it is like. It is majestic in its appearance, powerful in its stature, and proud in its place in the world. All of these things can more or less be said of any of the great cities of the world. Yet, D.C. is different from them all. It is not as large as New York nor as old as London. It is not as beautiful as Paris nor as technologically advanced as Tokyo. It is not as trendy as Berlin nor as historic as Jerusalem. It is not as large as Rio de Janeiro nor as peaceful as Stockholm. It is a city unique in its populace and purpose. This is one thing that has become extremely clear to me over my past month here. 

Consequentially, there are so many things that one who has never lived in D.C. before could pick out as the most striking thing about it. For me, it is the divisions that subtly underpin the very foundation of the city. 

These divisions can be recognized in many ways, but race and economic status are perhaps the most readily visible to me. These divisions were not readily apparent upon moving here: D.C. seemed exactly as it had every other time I had visited. Whether that be looking back on the (relatively) standard 8th grade trip to the capital or to the many other times that I have travelled to this city to see my family that live here, the people were still people, the city was still a city, and I was none the wiser. 

Yet as I have begun to adjust to life here, it has become clear to me that there remain issues in this city that have yet to be addressed. The divisions have become clear to me in many different circumstances. Here are few examples: in almost every service industry in the city, discounting a few of the ritzy companies or businesses, there are minorities doing the work: more specifically, they are black. The positions that you see and hear about on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC are also almost exclusively held by whites. I have also not yet become used to the routine beggars on the streets and their corners. Most are black. Many are also amputees, though why this might be I do not know. It is common to see the same man or woman in the same place day after day. They will probably remember your face too, as D.C. is not yet so large as to inhibit the retention of the faces that pass them every day on the way to work. The odds are good they will definitely remember you if you give them some money or food.  

It may be true that many of these facets of life can be found in other cities around the globe. It is also very likely that in other places the division is much more drastic and overt. But it is because of the unobtrusiveness of and the seeming laissez-faire attitude by D.C.'s inhabitants towards this state of affairs that makes this division especially troubling for me. 

D.C. is meant to be the place where the values of this country are physically manifested so as to inspire and impress the people that call this country home. This aim is well and good, but when proclamation is not reinforced with action, the claim rings hollow and insincere at best. 

I will freely admit that in many ways I am an idealist. I aim for perfection and hope that others do the same. I also know full-well that perfection is impossible to attain. However, in the realm of ideas, I find that idealism should be implicitly aimed at. This aim should hold even when there is no hope of its achievement, for it brings the idea's manifestation ever closer to that unachievable perfection. In this process, the good gets better, and the bad moves to mediocrity. The hope is that then this state of mediocrity is eventually moved to one of goodness. 

In respect to the divisions that underpins D.C., I hope that it is recognized by more people so as to spur its dismantling. It is to this place where the free world looks for guidance and judgment. I hope that this nation can continue addressing the cracks in its own foundation as it seeks to assist others with theirs. 

I believe that D.C. is a truly great city. D.C. is where America goes to create change for the future. It is in this way that I hope D.C. will continue to grow in order to lead others along the same path of improvement: both for its ideas and its people. 

-Eric Vinyard                   

No comments:

Post a Comment