Friday, June 10, 2016

Take a Deep Breath

WAIP is great.  I get to intern in the best office, experience the nation’s capital, and meet new people – many very driven and successful – who share similar interests.  Plenty of the people that it attracts are those that self-identity as “Type A” people who are extremely high energy and outgoing.  I on the other hand seem to be a mix between an intro/extrovert who needs me time to recharge before hanging with what can only described as professional socialites.  At first I tried to function as a more extrovert than I was and I burnt out.  After coming to the obvious realization that this was not working, I have made an effort to get me personal time beyond the usual time I spend at the gym or reading to allow me to catch my breath and relax.  At times that means taking a night to myself instead of hanging out, and it seems to be a good idea to give myself the break I need to function.  This city is fast paced and it will leave people behind; however, that does not mean people like me should rush and change who we are.  Instead, let’s take a deep breath, and treat ourselves to the personal time we require.

         On a completely unrelated note this city can be very polarized politically.  I personally experienced this in a couple of notable and unexpected ways.  At the same time, I can say from my personal time as a WAIPer, the political discussions amongst ourselves have been the most respectful ones I have experienced.  It gives me a little hope that if people that are so politically charged can be civil about politics maybe there is some hope for things to become less polarized here without a massive overhaul of political practices.

John Christenson

No comments:

Post a Comment