Friday, June 10, 2016

DC is Better than San Francisco (Sorry Abby)

Don’t tell WISH, but two weeks ago, my older sister Abby came and stayed with the 2nd floor of 229 for three days. Growing up, we shared a room, but since she left for college four years ago (she just graduated from Notre Dame—ugh), we’ve only really seen each other when reconvening in Cincinnati during breaks.

She’s moving out to San Francisco in a month to start life in the real world as a civil engineer, so this was our last chance to really see each other before we have a more permanent separation, this time a distance of almost 2,500 miles instead of just 270. It was weird to have our last hurrah be in DC, a city new to me and even newer to her.

The best part of our visit was when she and I went on a late-night monuments tour her first night here. Being 19, traditional “nightlife” is not necessarily an option for me, so I’ve been on a lot of these tours. But this walk with my sister was the best one I’ve taken by far. I led her around the Capitol and the Mall, and then we trekked out to the White House. Though these sights are now yawn-worthy to me (lol just kidding), it was great to experience them with her.

Also, it was great to just have long conversation about anything and everything during that walk, like we did when we were younger, lying in our beds at night, talking way past our bedtime. Though the setting was a lot different, and I was the one showing her the ropes instead of the other way around (she was the traditional bossy older sister), it was cool to have these sisterly conversations in a new city that holds a lot of history that we both care about (Side note: we both took APUSH at the same time during high school. True Sippolas, we were super competitive and liked to face off on our knowledge of American history (I disgust myself). She was always better, but maybe not now?????).

I can’t wait until I make the flight out to San Francisco and she gets to lead me around the city like a local. I’ll miss her until then!

Written by: Kirstie Sippola 

No comments:

Post a Comment