Friday, June 10, 2016

Why EVERY Midwesterner should experience DC (and vice versa)

As we pass the month mark on our time in WAIP,  I am also checking off another milestone in my life. Until this summer I had not lived outside of my central Ohio bubble for any longer than a month (shoutout to Budapest miss you). If you know me, you know I love Ohio and more generally the Midwest. And if you don't know me, aka everyone in DC, you like to ask me how I am adjusting to this new city. Well, in true Midwestern form I am going to give it to you straight (in the most polite way possible).

I miss Old Columbus town and guess what? That is completely fine. While a summer in DC is a dream come true, especially for someone with dreams like mine, nothing beats the 614 (yet). Among the many things I love about Ohio and my university, many of them can be applied more generally to the Midwest. I love that people randomly smile at strangers on the sidewalk and exchange "Have a good day"s. I love the awkward standoff that happens when you and another person want to to hold the door open for each other. I love random conversations in elevators, on Uber rides, and in line at Starbucks. I could go on (and on), but moral of the story is I love Midwestern culture and community. Call me naive, but I think the world (read: DC) needs a little more of it.

As I explain this to mentors, co-workers, and new friends I always counter with the many things I have grown to love about DC. First of all, there is ALWAYS something happening. Second of all (see first of all). Whether its a free concert on the mall or a networking happy hour, this city is ~lit~(<--trying to be relatable sorry Katy). The energy and purpose by which people live in this city is inspiring; I find myself pushing my own limits and branching out both personally and professionally. I love that every person you walk by or fall onto when the Metro breaks too fast could be the next President. I am also quite of fan of the food down here...beware WAIP Weight is a thing (but so is Balance gym #blessed).  

So as you can see, I find myself stuck in the middle on a lot of things as of late (cough, cough millennial politics 101), but especially my love for the two places I now call home. But I am here to report, you can have your cake and eat it too (be Midwestern in DC) contrary to popular belief. My favorite example may sound simple, but encompasses why the Midwest to DC "cultural" exchange has been beneficial and essential to my personal and professional growth. I am lucky enough to be interning with Battelle, an organization headquartered right off of Ohio State's campus, where I find an obvious connection to my home. The Washington office is a small, but powerful team and working with them has already taught me so much. We share our office with other National Labs, specifically a polygraphist out of the DOE. In the wave of introductions within our first week, he stood out to me because of his genuine excitement to have a friend to talk to. A retired government employee, the grandfatherly co-worker could talk for days about his family, career, and life experiences as long as there is someone there to listen. One thing we do in the Midwest (most of the time without even noticing) is actually mean it when we ask the question "How are you doing?" or answer it. While it may be TMI, we usually mull over our latest success or misstep or maybe even our thoughts on the Bachelorette (aka scary Chad). My new friend simply needed someone to ask, to take the time out of their day to hear them (and honestly I needed it too). I never understood the value of that till coming here to DC; you never know when someone needs a break and a person to listen in this type of town. Adam and I are lucky enough to learn from his incredible career and expertise, while also getting the chance to chat about life and family -- it is a perfect combination. Thank you to Don and many OSU alumni who have shown me a little piece of home in the nation's capital.

Now to answer the question and get to the point of all this, I am adjusting and more than that loving every minute. My summer fling with DC has already reinvigorated my passion for public service as well as my competitive nature. I am happier than ever and feel more and more confident in myself and my abilities every day. I feel as though I speak for many in my cohort when I say this summer is already life changing. 

My advice to my fellow "Ohio till I Die" types is come. Come to DC. Even if you've heard the rumors. Whether you've been told there is too much bureaucracy, inefficiency, or any of the other 9,345 complaints the American public has with our government... come. Our professor this summer made an incredible point about the value of showing up. Don't shy away from the East Coast because you love the warmth (not literally) of the Midwest. You owe yourself and the DC natives a challenge. Challenge yourself to be bold and aim big and challenge DC to find common ground and community. You can find those friendly strangers here I promise... as well as a fire inside of yourself to do and accomplish anything.

My advice to every person in DC who tells me they have never been to Ohio, come visit. You won't find a crazier, prouder bunch of nuts this side of the Mississippi. Make sure to take a tour of our crowning glory - The Ohio State University, and yell OH- to a stranger and see what happens. I promise I am not crazy, there is a special kind of magic hidden in the heart of the US (see map). And the best part? Everyone is welcome (except TSUN grads sorry not sorry).  

Sending all my love back to the Buckeye State and JGCPA for this incredible opportunity.  

But for Ohio State,

Kinzie Harper 

No comments:

Post a Comment